Homeschool Planning with a Bullet Journal - Part 3 (Putting it all Together)

7:02 AM

بسم الله الرحمن الرحيم

Salaam!

Welcome back! I do hope all is well with you and yours! Ameen!

I'm just gonna jump straight into it….

In this post, I just wanted to briefly show you a closer, more detailed look as to how I plan for homeschool using a notebook and incorporating the bullet journaling system.

Before we go any further, you may want to check out my first post in the series where I discussed bullet journaling and then you can check out my second post on how to get started with your homeschool bullet planner. Of course, I'll be right here when you get back…

Awesome!

Yearly Plan

I have never planned a year of work in advance because I'm not quite sure how things will work at as yet after I and settle down and also because I'm pretty new to homeschooling and I'm still finding my way, alhamdulillah.



However, I do use the calendar to give myself an overview of what periods or weeks we'll be having school, when we'll be having vacation or breaks, major (Islamic) holidays, etc. I don't divide my year into three terms and semesters, but blocks which is shorter than a term and lasts on average 4 weeks. I'll discuss my teaching year and days in another post soon in sha Allah.

Monthly Plan

My monthly is not necessarily per month, but per block, which as I mentioned lasts 4 weeks on average, but can also be 3 or even 5. So for one block, I will create a 2-page spread and list all the subjects and topics I intend to cover during the each week.



This plan makes my weekly planning much easier because I can just refer to it and expound on the topics I plan to teach and jot down the objectives for each topic.

Just for emphasis: I do not include any details and objectives in this plan. The topic alone is sufficient for now.

Weekly Plan

Finally, the weekly plan - where all the magic happens!



I also use a 2-page spread for this plan. On one page, I draw up a table with the days and the number of periods taught each day. And in each box, I write the subject and then list the topic and objectives/activities. Because the topic is pretty much the same for the duration of the week, I don't always put it and just list the objectives.

Now, there is only one way to get all your content to fit - get a fine point pen, of course!



I use my Staedtler in 0.05 and it gets the job done.

Notice, that I use a little dot (bullet) next to each objective or activity? When it's completed, I simply put an an x on it or if it's not complete for whatever reasons, I use a   to migrate it to another day.

Besides the subjects, I also make a note of what she'll be doing for any extra subjects and homework.

[Please excuse the scrappy writing and the ink blots from an pen that exploded!]
The other page, I reserve for notes. This could be anything from details on an activity to why we weren't able to cover a certain topic. Sometimes, I will write down what I want to do next week or what areas my daughter still needs more help with, tips and ideas from my pal, Pinterest...

And yes, I only teach 4 days a week (will speak more about that soon), so if you need more space you will may have to stretch your table to cover both pages or draw it up landscape. Or you can think of something else - just be sure to share it with me! Thanks!

Having such a detailed weekly planner means that I don't have to do a daily lesson planner because ain't nobody got time for that! I'm kidding! But serious though, I don't have the time to do daily planning for each subject. But if daily planning for each subject keeps you focused, organised and efficient, then you do what works for you.

Everyone is different, every child is different, every family is different, every momma (or daddy!) is different and of course their planning style can also be different. That's what makes this journey so beautiful! Tailor made education for our unique children and circumstances. Alhamdulillah.

I do have some more homeschool content coming your way soon in sha Allah. But in the meantime, if you have any questions, comments, or suggestions, please feel free to send me an email.

Looking forward to hearing from you!


You Might Also Like

0 comments

Like us on Facebook

Flickr Images